ABYC History

ALAMITOS BAY YACHT CLUB (ABYC) was formally organized as a sailing club on August 14th, 1924 and was incorporated in the State of California on January 28, 1928. 

While early meetings were originally held on the beaches of Alamitos Bay, enough people were joining and taking part in the ABC's activities that in 1948 enthusiastic members purchased an old firehouse from the Port of Long Beach and moved it onto leased, city-owned, bayfront land near the west end of Alamitos Bay. That clubhouse eventually became Leeway Sailing Center.

In 1955, the future of ABYC shifted when the City of Long Beach made plans for a major marina installation in the Alamitos Bay.  Early on in the Alamitos Bay Marina project, ABYC was offered a permanent site, where it still sits today.

While numerous boats had been sailed up to that time–including the Patricia Skimmer, Snipes, Penguins, Rainbows, Thistles and Naples Sabots–the new facility allowed the Club to host larger regattas. The 1957 Turkey Day Regatta, which sailed in the Long Beach Inner Harbor as well as the Bay, hosted 190 boats in 18 classes. 

Since then, ABYC has hosted many national and international events and plays an important part in the sailing community, producing world class regattas and providing ideal training grounds for both local and international sailors as well as offering sailing instruction for people of all ages and skill levels.

ABYC has a reputation for being a casual, family-friendly club which is dedicated to hosting world-class racing events with its membership which is made up of experienced and enthusiastic volunteers who enjoy all aspects of the sailing arena.


Secondary address